Interested In Becoming A Member?
At The Sanctuary, we don’t look at membership as a matter of putting your name on the “roll.” For us, it’s about family–about covenant. We would be honored to welcome you into our family!
- Why Is Membership Important?
- Membership Requirements
- How To Become A Member
- Become A Member
Why Is Membership Important?
These days, some people choose to attend a church without actually becoming a member. After all, the concept of membership isn’t something that’s necessarily spelled out in the Bible. So, is it actually important to be a member of a local congregation?
Actually, yes, it is. As stated above, membership is about covenant. When you’re only an attendee, although you’re welcome to attend the church and its functions, you do so as a guest, like an honored guest who joins a family for Thanksgiving dinner. And while that’s a wonderful position to hold within a community, actually becoming a part of that community–a part of that family–is so much better! To know that you can depend on this local community of believers, and that we can depend on you; there’s no substitute for that. It’s a special and precious thing to choose to make a declaration that “this is my church family, and we’re in this journey together!”
There’s a passage found in the book of Hebrews that talks about spiritual leaders being responsible for people’s souls. As the servant-leader of The Sanctuary, Pastor Romell is responsible to God for all of our spiritual well-being. Membership makes him aware of whose spiritual well-being he is personally responsible for. It lets him (and the rest of the leadership) know whom they are covering–those whom God has entrusted to their care. And that is to all of our benefit, so that we know that we are prayed for, and looked after as a part of a local flock whose shepherd (that’s what “pastor” means) knows that we are his/her responsibility.
At The Sanctuary, we believe that our church is more than just a social club that one joins. We are what you may call a local gathering place for people who are a part of a much larger Body–the universal Body of Christ. So, while all people from all walks of life, believing any and all things about religion or faith are always welcome to attend The Sanctuary, membership itself does carry the following requirements:
- One must be a Christian, or be willing to become a Christian prior to finalizing their membership process.
- One must have been or be willing to be baptized (fully submersed in water as a public declaration of one’s new life of faith in Jesus Christ) as soon as practicality permits. The baptismal formula used in a previous baptism is not important (whether baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, or baptized in Jesus’ name). What matters is that one made a public declaration of their faith through the ordinance of baptism.
- One must have attended no fewer than three (3) Sunday worship services, either in-person or virtually. We just want to make sure that you’re making an informed decision, and have taken the time to experience our worship on more than one occasion, to ensure that we can be helpful to you in your ongoing spiritual journey.
- One must agree to participate in New Covenant Classes, a short series of classes (held in-person and virtually) intended to familiarize new members with the church, its history, and its distinctive beliefs.
That’s it! If you meet, and/or are willing to meet these requirements, we would love to welcome you as a member of The Sanctuary.
How To Become A Member
If and when you’re ready to become a member of The Sanctuary, there are two ways to do it:
1) At the church, on the shelf underneath every sanctuary chair, is a Request Card. Simply fill out that card, checking the option for becoming a member, and place it in the offering tray during the offertory period.
One of the ministers will get you enrolled in our Covenant Class (our introductory class for new members), so that you can learn more about the church, including our history, core beliefs and values, etc. After attending the class (it usually lasts 3 sessions), you’ll be taken in as a new member during the next Sunday worship service… and we so look forward to welcoming you!
2) You may also choose to join online by completing the form below. This allows you to become either an IP member (traditional in-person member) or a Virtual member, which is available especially to people who do not live closely enough to attend in person on a regular basis. To facilitate virtual membership, we stream each Sunday worship service live through Facebook. We also stream our Bible and Life classes through Zoom, which allows for interaction and engagement with IP members during class.
Become A Member
To become a member, simply complete the following form. We look forward to welcoming you to our church family!